What Is Family Reunification Visa?

There are plenty of US citizens who want to reunite with family members living outside of the country. Often, it can be intimidating to apply for a visa petition because of the perceived uncertainty of its success. But US Immigration laws put a premium on the unity of families of US citizens and lawful permanent US citizens. There is a process in applying where an immigrant lawyer can be plenty helpful in completing the requirements for an increased chance of succeeding in the petition. 

In this article, you will have a basic understanding of the processes, requirements, and what you can do to make your application easier and faster.

What is Family Reunification?

The UNHCR defines this as a program that reunites eligible family members through a petition process. An immediate family is defined as the child, spouse, or parent of the eligible US citizen. Under the program’s current regulations, children must be under 21 years old and unmarried to be considered.

As a priority program of the UNHCR, refugees need to state that they have family members living in the US to help the agency refer the case where it can be properly addressed. 

Who is Eligible to Apply for a Petition for Family Reunification?

Anyone who entered the US as a refugee in the last two years or someone who has been granted the asylee status in the same time may petition family members to obtain a derivative refugee or asylee status. 

The petitioner must be a principal asylee or refugee, which means that they must have obtained the status directly and not through another petition. They must also have the status or have a Green Card during the petition. If they have become a US citizen through naturalization, they cannot petition their relatives to gain refugee or asylee status. However, since they are naturalized citizens, they can help their family members immigrate to the United States. For such cases, an immigration lawyer will be of great help.

What are the Requirements for Petition?

Several documents are needed before you can file a petition for your family members. These include proof of your status as refugee or asylee and a passport-style photo of every family member you are filing for.  A religious institution record, school record, or census record can be used when some primary evidence is unavailable from civil authorities or when you cannot acquire the secondary evidence and statement from civil authorities.

Ruby Powers Law

We specialize in immigration law and can guide you through the many avenues of the US Immigration System. We are easy to reach and are always available to provide you with expert and professional assistance in reuniting with your family in the country.


Reuniting with family members in countries outside the US is not impossible. Following the protocols and processes will enable you to bring your family members to live a good life in the country together.

Call us at (713) 589-2085 to schedule a consultation for your immigration law inquiries. You can also visit our website at www.rubypowerslaw.com for more information on our professional services.



Recommended For You

About the Author: Prince Moga

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *